I can't believe it's been 2 months since I lasted posted. I finally moved back to Chicago and think I've been enjoying myself a little too much. NO EXCUSES, just having fun, being a little lazy and enjoying a break from "life". Moving out here has been a challenge, I left a 2 year relationship and 4 year friendship. That comfort of having someone there is gone and you start needing to find it in yourself again like the time before the relationship. Things that I have found helpful: sleeping with a mass amount of pillows, maybe a stuffed animal (which I will neither confirm nor deny), being home (which to me is Chicago), and comfort food.
Typically when I think of comfort food it's anything cheesy, gooey, hot, and savory but it's summer and I'm living in an apartment with only one small air conditioner in my room. So hot, cheesy, gooey dishes are out. See you later winter foods and say hello to ice cream and cake! Birthday traditions in our family consisted of picking the dinner and cake, of course since mine is in summer the cake selection was simple- ice cream cake. It was the same every year, that ice cream cake from Baskin Robbin's with the chocolate crunch layer. Yeah you know the one. I have always loved food but that ice cream cake was more, it was comfort, love AND happiness. Everything you should feel when you eat a meal in my opinion.
I wanted to make a grown-up version, something classy with a new flavor and of course booze! This ice cream cake consists of Boozy Bourbon Cherries, Tahini ice cream (the new peanut butter), and Brown Butter White Cake. I used a 6 inch by 3 inch round cake pan, if you only have an 8 inch round pan that"s fine just watch the time starting around 40 min. My flour blend is listed HERE, and I will be posting the Tahini Ice Cream soon so "stay tuned". The Bourbon Roasted Cherries Recipe is from Bojon Gourmet and I decided to top the cake with it but as you know from my other posts, I always encourage you to do your thing, so mix it in the ice cream if you want. Cooking/Baking should be fun, creative and most of all not stressful!
Tahini & Brown Butter Ice Cream Cake with Bourbon Roasted Cherries
You will need: 3 inch Springform Pan & 6" by 3" Round Pan
Author: Rolling Pin Punches
Recipe type: Dessert
- Bourbon Roasted Cherries
- 1 Quart Tahini Ice Cream
- 200 grams Gluten Free Flour Mix (link listed above)
- 1½ tsp baking soda
- ½ cup butter
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup buttermilk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease 6 inch by 3 inch cake round.
- Combine flour and baking soda and set aside.
- Get out a small bowl to pour browned butter in. In a small saucepan over medium heat place butter in pan and brown. This is going to take a couple minutes so just be patient, you don't want to burn it. As you swirl butter in pan it is going to start to change colors to a light brown and brown bits are going to form on bottom. Once this happens you should be smelling a nutty aroma, take off heat immediately and pour into the small bowl scraping in brown bits as well. Set aside to cool.
- In a stand mixer with a whisk attachment beat eggs and sugar together until creamy and pale yellow.
- Mixing on low, add half of the flour.
- Pour in cooled browned butter, buttermilk, and vanilla and mix for 30 sec.
- Add rest of flour and mix until just combined. I personally mix until only some flour is visible and I use a spatula to combine rest so I don't over mix.
- Pour into greased cake round and bake for 50 min or until cake tester/knife comes out clean.
- Cool for 30 min and then flip onto a wire rack to completely cool before cutting in half.
- Take out ice cream 20 minutes prior to assembling cake so it can soften.
- Place half of cake round in spring form pan.
- Scoop half of ice cream on top and spread with spatula, creating a smooth layer. Place into freezer for 30 min
- When you repeat this process with other half of cake round and rest of ice cream, you will need to unhinge spring form and move it up half an inch or so ( Picture below).
- Freeze for at least 2 hours.
- When your ready to serve slide a knife inside spring form pan, loosening cake before taking out.
- Microwave Bourbon Cherries for 30 seconds and spoon onto cake evenly. Alternatively slice and then spoon cherry mixture on top.
I've found that churning the ice cream right before you assemble the ice cream cake helps it come out creamier.
(Cake adapted from Barefeet in the Kitchen)
(Cake adapted from Barefeet in the Kitchen)