I was planning on sharing this recipe on the fact that the weather was warming up, which I soon reconsidered after the snow storm. But how could I not share this delicious, mouth watering, creamy goodness. Plus, what's better than being plopped on the couch wrapped in you're most comfy blanket and a big bowl (sometimes too big) of your fave icy treat. In this case, sherbet.
Blood Orange Carrot Sherbet
Author: Rolling Pin Punches
Recipe type: Dessert
Serves: 1 quart
- 1 cup blood orange juice (5 oranges)
- 1 cup carrot juice (8 medium carrots if freshly juiced)
- ½ cup coconut sugar*
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- 2 tsp vodka (makes it easier to scoop)
- 1 Tbsp vanilla extract
- 1½ cup full fat canned coconut milk (I'm obsessed with whole foods brand)
- In a medium saucepan, warm blood orange and carrot juice, sugar, and salt until sugar has dissolved. Transfer to a bowl and stir in lemon juice, vodka, vanilla and coconut milk. Cover and refrigerate at least 4 hours (preferably overnight). Once chilled completely, pour into ice cream machine and churn per manufacturers instructions. I have Cuisinart and churned 30 min. It will be quite soft at this point, transfer to an airtight container and freeze for at least 30 min. Enjoy!
*Equivalent to ½ cup cane sugar or honey, whatever you prefer.
Slightly adapted from www.turniptheoven.com